Sunday, 3 February 2013

Starting a new chapter - A really exciting one!!





This is a really exciting post for me to write, I have amazing what you could call news and I'm telling the world cos to be frank I'm one proud anxiety sufferer ha. 

So as I've mentioned in other posts I attend weekly counselling sessions with the charity Mind every Sunday and I personally have benefited from doing this extremely! I started going to counselling 5/6 months ago, 22 sessions to be precise ;) I personally chose to start counselling because I felt lost, my head was absolutely battered with confusion and feelings and feeling unable to deal with these feelings on my own. I was never expecting counselling to 'cure' my anxiety I knew my anxiety would never be 'cured' but I wanted to get it under control. 

When I first started counselling the only way I could describe how my mind felt was an extremely untidy messy desk. I didn't know where anything went. I couldn't place anything I could barely make my way through the piles and piles of paper work - paper work being questions, answers, feelings etc. After my many counselling sessions I now feel like my mind is an extremely tidy and organised desk, I can even see the drawers where the paper work is and it's an amazing feeling! Anyone who has suffered with mental health issues will understand what I mean by this, it's so nice to be able to think again. 

Getting my mind sorted has helped with my anxiety massively, just understanding my anxiety and where it stems from helped me leave the house. Getting things clear makes you able to focus on the more important things like going out, building your confidence so you can go out without feeling anxious or having a panic attack. 

That all being said I shall get onto my news! Last Sunday at counselling I said to my counsellor that I feel my next step in my 'journey' as I like to call it is volunteering, getting myself back out there, getting back into a routine and making myself leave the house. So my counsellor told my about a program he coordinates called Befriending. Befriending aims to support and complement community based services for people in recovery, at risk or otherwise isolated from other forms of support. So basically I'd be volunteering to help someone with mental health issue's by just being there for them, being their friend, being their support, from experience there is nothing you need more than someone there for you, supporting you so when my counsellor told me about befriending I knew I had to do it! The thought of helping someone else that is suffering or feels isolated is such a great feeling. 

So I'm doing it I am becoming a Befriender, which means I can not carry on with my counselling as my counsellor would be my coordinator which changes the dynamics of the relationship but I feel this is the push I need, I'm stuck in a rut, dwelling on my anxiety at the moment rather than doing something about it and with my life, like the picture says, 'you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one' which is so true, I keep re-reading my last chapter of when my anxiety started and it's time to move on. When I attend counselling recently I have nothing to talk about, I feel fine so I know I'm ready, I know I'm ready to help someone who is at the beginning of their journey with mental health where I am coming to the end. I know I will always have anxiety, it's part of me now but I'm taking control of my life, I haven't been this excited about something in such a long time. I know it will be such a boost to my confidence. So next Sunday is my last counselling session with my counsellor, I can choose to go back to counselling with a different counsellor and carry on with the befriending if I want but I know I'm ready! 

If befriending sounds like something you'd like to do then click here befriending is such a brilliant idea, I wish I knew about it at the start of my journey but oh well I made it through!




I love this picture, I love when a picture can say a thousand words! This totally sums up how I feel right now, my long journey has now reached its 'destination' zero miles left, only steps forward from now on :) 


A happy blog post from one very happy anxiety sufferer! YAY



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I think thats all someone with mental health issues needs, is a friend they can talk to and trust. I seriously hope you enjoy it and you benefit from the experience too.

    Lindsey. x
    www.elegant-chaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a refreshing post. I'm happy you feel able to move forward, and I'm sure you'll have a positive impact on lots of lives - befriending sounds like a great idea x

    www.lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I love your blog, definitely following now! Stay in touch xx
    thedailysugar.blogspot.com

    & enter the Msdressy giveaway on my blog for the chance to win an amazing gift!
    http://thedailysugar.blogspot.com/2013/01/msdressy-giveaway_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good that counselling has actually helped! It's also brilliant that you're putting your experience into use! So inspiring xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy I stumbled across your blog! This is such a great post and something I can completely relate to! The messy desk is probably one of the best descriptions of how it is! Well done on getting to the next step and I will be checking back regularly to hear how it goes.

    Emma xx

    http://uglybugbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I can completely relate to! So glad you've made it to the next step :) pleased for you xx

    ReplyDelete